Stand-Up Comedy 101
Comedy Class Syllabus:
- Learn the basics of stand-up comedy in a structured class setting
- Mold topics into an original routine through a weekly on-stage performance workshop
- Translate your ideas into a crafted act through proper joke structure and editing techniques
- Experiment with elements of improv and acting to create a unique and organic performance
- Hone your joke-crafting skills with a focus on writing content
Comedy Classes Include:
- Six three-hour-long comedy class sessions at Helium Comedy Club, Saturdays from 1 to 4pm
- A Graduation Showcase at Helium at 8PM on the Wednesday immediately following the final class session (schedule permitting) in which participants perform for an audience of friends and family in a supportive, positive, and controlled environment
Upcoming Class Dates
Fill out the form on this page to be notified when new class dates are added.
Is this class for beginners?
- Yes. Our Stand-Up 101, 130, and 160 classes are all entry-level courses. All 200 level courses and higher require completion of an entry-level course or permission from the instructor to attend.
What's the difference between Stand-Up 101, 130, and 160?
- Our 101 class is more of a structured, classroom-style course which builds your comedy skills from the ground up, starting with a solid foundation of basic comedy knowledge. Our 130 class focuses primarily on joke writing and is basically an extended verison of the latter half of the 101 syllabus. It's ideal for the comedy fan or novice open mic'er ready to take their stand-up to the next level. Lastly, Stand-Up 160 is a much more fluid class, using improv techniques to help you think through your jokes on-the-spot. The 160 class is ideal for people interested in learning improv, those open to learning stand-up in a more freeform way, and improv'ers looking to learn stand-up. All three classes, however, are for beginners, although we encourage extremely new students to start with our 101 before taking either 130 or 160.
My child is 13 years old, can I sign them up for a class?
- Unfortunately, no. All Helium Comedy Academy classes are 18+.
How much progress can I expect to gain from this class?
- As with any class or lesson, you get out what you put in. Those who participate, do the homework assignments, and put real effort in their work will see significant advancement in their skill level over someone who was merely present in class.
What is the benefit of taking this class versus performing on open mics?
- Time saved. In 6 weeks we will teach you the skills needed to become an Open Mic regular and then some. Skills that take people quite awhile to learn on their own.
Do I need to have any material ready before the class?
- There's no preparation required to start of any of our entry-level classes. Obviously, there's also no harm in bringing some material, ideas, or jokes you've been working on to the first day of class but that's totally optional!