Improv Comedy 101 (Now on Saturdays in Elements)
Improv Class Syllabus:
- Develop improvisational skills using short-form games or the long form structure known as Harold
- Mold topics and suggestions into original characters and on-the-spot routines through a weekly on-stage performance workshop
- Translate your ideas to connect with any audience by performing at the "top of your intelligence"
Improv Classes Include:
- Six three-hour-long improv class sessions at Helium Comedy Club
- A Graduation Showcase on Helium's main stage
Upcoming Class Dates:
- 9/8, 9/15, 9/22, 9/29, 10/6, 10/13 - Grad Show 10/17
About the Instructor:
Don Gervasi a graduate of Toronto’s Second City Conservatory Program, has been acting and improvising for over 20 years. He can be seen in the film Queen City starring Vivica A. Fox and Peter Jason, as well as the upcoming historical drama Marshall, starring Chadwick Boseman, Josh Gad and Kate Hudson. He's performed on numerous Buffalo stages including Kavinoky Theatre, MusicalFare Theatre, and the Jewish Repertory Theatre of WNY. He is a member of Actors’ Equity Association, and has served as Equity Liaison for the Buffalo-Rochester Area since 2010.
As an improviser, he has trained under Susan Messing, Moira Dunphy, Jerry Schaefer, and the late great Frank McAnulty. Don is a founding member of Buffalo’s own Eclectic Improv Company and long-form duo Babushka, and has improvised with the likes of Jason Alexander, Phil Lamarr, Dan Castellaneta and Catherine O'Hara.
You may recognize Don from recent AAA and Seneca Allegany Casino commercials. He also co-hosts the weekly comedy podcast The Discount Deejays.
Don teaches both introductory and advanced improv classes at Helium Comedy Club.